Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Once I went blind, I Could See

Blinded by the light. Literally. On my walk home yesterday the sun was positioned directly at eye level and shining so bright it was completely blinding. In the best kind of way of course. Here on the east coast we welcome bright sunshine at all times!  But as I walked enjoying the opportunity to absorb the warmth I was also trying not to trip or walk directly into a construction scaffold.  I managed to avert all major disasters until I could turn the corner and regain my ability to see real shapes. When I turned the corner, however, things looked different. Having had a busy and over scheduled day, I was slightly less present that normal. As I walked I was making mental lists of everyone I had to email, everything I 'needed' to read, and every thing I 'needed' to get done. I was attaching my satisfaction and sense of fulfillment with a series check marks on a list.  That all came to a halt when my sight was compromised by the brilliant sun and I was forced to focus on putting one foot in front of the other.  That focus led to a few moments of pure joy as the sun warmed me and brought me back to the present moment. I became grateful for the sun and my ability to walk home and enjoy the outdoors.  Once I regained my sight, I was grateful for my ability to see vivid images and colors again. The rest of my walk home was filtered through a lens of gratitude and happiness. Instantly my evening changed. I arrived home no longer in a rush to get everything done, but instead I was able to enjoy the experience of doing them. One at at time. Slow, thoughtful and with intention.

It is very easy to get caught up in deadlines and self imposed timelines for achieving a goal. By doing so, we end up missing out on the whole experience. We simply don't see all the opportunities for growth, compassion and connection that surround us daily. We have blinders on. These blinders block out the sun and we operate unaware that our lives are just waiting to be claimed.  We are all human and for those of us who live in the world of work, family, friends, school, bosses, etc. (so all of us...) having goals and deadlines and timelines are a necessity, but they do not have to be all consuming.  We can chose to be present, aware and make the most of every single moment. We can choose to view our lives through a lens of gratitude for what is in front of us. Through a lens of love and kindness, a lens of connection and compassion. If we view our world and the people and places in through this lens, our daily to-do's become a lot more enjoyable. Before you know we become these beaming beacons of positivity that reach to every corner of our world.

Well, that is just what I choose to believe! With this lens I can move forward into the day IN-Powered !

What lens do you see your world through?

No comments:

Post a Comment