Monday, April 13, 2015

Making Neon Footprints

On my walk through Center City today I noticed people staring at my feet. Which happens all the time...not. But it got me thinking about the days when I would have been too self conscious to wear my favorite neon shoes, or even buy them for that matter. Which got me thinking and reflecting on life...obviously. Following your own path can be incredibly scary. Without someone else’s footsteps to follow, simply deciding on a direction and putting one foot in front of the other can be overwhelming. But when the time is right, all of the sudden, living a lack luster version of life, sitting back in the pseudo-security of a cookie cutter path that may not reflect your passions, your purpose or your path is way more frightening than taking that step.  After taking the time to discover your path, tap into your core truths and cultivate an authentic vision for YOUR life, those small steps quickly evolve into a leap.  With a deeper sense of your personal strengths, values and purpose, your vision begins to crystalize.  However, for most, that fear that sits in the pit of our stomachs when we think about stepping off the well-worn path keeps that vision safely tucked away in the far corners of our minds.  But that fear is a great indicator that it is time to step up to the plate and take your hacks.  What we often identify as fear might just be our heart telling us that this vision is of great importance, value and worth, thus the risk of setback or loss is deeply unsettling.  But the risk of living your life undiscovered is simply devastating. Do not fear discomfort. Comfort is the enemy of growth.  It keeps us stuck in the same loops, reading from the ineffective life scripts riddled with self doubt that have become our default.


I consider myself a lucky soul. I have been blessed with a beautiful combination of inspiring people, an outstanding support system, and a perfect storm of life events that propelled me on a path to discovering my true self.  I was supported through life-changing illness, enabled to reconnect with the power of self-talk and took the time to heal from within.  I have been lucky enough to know people who inspire me to express myself in authentic ways, personally and professionally.  They challenge my voracious mind, encourage my passion for serving others, accept and support my ‘irrational exuberance’, and push me to buy the neon shoes I “didn’t need” on a random weekend shopping trip.

You may be struggling to craft your vision and feel stuck in a comfortable malaise. You might have pieces of your vision floating around but activating it or figuring out the first step feels like a lost cause. No mater where you are on your journey of self-exploration, the most important and valuable asset is your tribe.  Surround yourself with the right people. Find the people who support you, who inspire you, who excite you, challenge and push you to explore the depths of your greatness. Don’t be afraid to buy your neon shoes and leave your own neon footprints where no one else has thought to walk.

Step in YOUR direction with vigor, passion and a brightness that is undeniable, drawing others into your light.

One thing is for sure, when you are ready to step out in your neon kicks, everyone will want to know where you got them, trust me!



No comments:

Post a Comment