Friday, April 24, 2015

Lessons learned from the Kool-Aid Man


There is something so magical about being totally and completely bough in. So engrossed, consumed, obsessed and focused on one thing. It is as if the rest of the world disappears.  There is no distraction or mental noise. All effort and energy seems to suspend in a state of joy, boundless creativity and immeasurable excitement.  As an athlete, during competition or practice, we call it being in a state of flow.  At work, or in daily life, we might call it being in the zone, hitting our stride, or our sweet spot. Regardless of our terminology, the outcome is the same.  Diving in, head first, letting go of any fear, self-doubt or hesitation. As my high school softball coach used to say, ‘he who hesitates is lost.’ Brilliant man.

In the zone, we are anything but lost. In fact, in a state of flow, it is as if all things are found. The true self is found, and with all things stemming from that authentic truth, only beauty manifests. That beauty might take the form of a PR, an unbelievable play, an incredible piece of art, a game changing innovation, or a new creative recipe that your family and friends love or an exciting change that illuminated your heart along with your immediate corner of the world. 

In order to find that sweet spot, going all in is a must. In order to live fully and reach for a dream, we have to be willing to drink the Kool-Aid. Buy in, heart and soul. Otherwise, the inevitable temptations of doubt and insecurity creep in and hold us hostage.  As my Dad would say, “Self-doubt is the number one killer of dreams.”
 
Having the faith and discipline to develop that single pointed focus, and build a life that meets every one of your truths is no easy feat, but it is certainly worth it.
Focusing on building my IN-Power and helping others do the same is why I get out of bed.  In order to optimize and thrive, our IN-Power must be of mind body and soul. I actively practice self-care and self love in a purposeful way and love helping other women and athletes do the same.


Morning meditations, yoga, healthy cooking, writing and sharing my techniques with others are what bring me joy. I am at my best when I am IN-Powered and working to IN-Power others.   When I am working with young women and talking with athletes, I feel like I walk on clouds. I am in my zone.  I feel like I could bust through any brick wall and just scream “Oh Yeaahh!”

I like to IN-Power my mornings with a mindfulness practice and a superfood breakfast like this easy overnight chia pudding, so delicious! Thank you Deliciously Ella for the recipe!

I mean clearly the Kool-Aid man had it figured out!  Drink it in, enjoy the moments of bliss that come with existing only in the present. During these times we effortlessly learn and grow, finding more of our true self. Drinking the Kool-Aid can be fun and may even just bring a new sense of well being that was hiding all this time.  

What Kool-Aid are you drinking this weekend!?

No comments:

Post a Comment