Thursday, April 9, 2015

Get the Wind Knocked out of You!


Sometimes it is great when you get the wind knocked out of you.  I mean, not right when it happens, but in retrospect. At the time it pretty much feels like you have been hollowed out, gutted, like everything that may have mattered a few moments ago has vaporized.  That was pretty much how it felt yesterday when I took a good fall while on a run. In my head I was planning and organizing AND trying to clear my mind and then out of nowhere someone zigged when I thought they would zag, and…whop! Down. The hollow pit in my stomach forced me to slow down, be present in the moment, although it was a painful one, and not overly focused on a future that is mostly beyond my control. 


Little did I know, that tumble was foreshadowing a meeting earlier today that knocked the wind out of me, emotionally that is. Having gotten all excited about some things and starting to get the feeling that I was figuring it all out and then…whop! Not so fast.  Now, while it may seem like this would be bad thing, it was in fact the exact opposite. Getting the wind knocked out of us can actually help us to slow down, reflect and perhaps, redirect. Perhaps taking the time to be present in each moment, without focusing too much on the future will allow for a better experience. It is all about the journey after all, right?



So the combo of being physical and emotional windless, I had to slow down, reflect on whether I had been overly focused on the future.  It was a good nudge to refocus on being wholly present in the moment, so as not to miss out on all the fun along the way.  So next time you feel like you just got the wind knocked out of you, maybe it is a blessing in a really great disguise. It could be a great opportunity to slow down, reflect, and maybe even redirect.

No comments:

Post a Comment