Monday, April 6, 2015

From Misfit to Perfect fit…All in a Days Walk

Positive self-talk should be considered a super power. It is a rare and elusive and gives a person the ability to instantly transform the world that they live in. As my Dad has been saying my entire life, “We are what we tell ourselves about ourselves.” The power of positive self-talk is everywhere in the self-help aisle, as it has long been noted as an important driver to experiencing health, happiness and well-being. Despite the general acceptance of the need for fostering a good personal dialogue, it remains one of the most difficult things to do on a consistent basis. The constant comparisons we tend to make create a sometimes deafening loop of self doubt, self-criticism and judgment that leave us feeling somewhat less than invincible.

Even though I was born and bread in an environment that hammered the value of positive self talk, when released into the world on my own, I stumbled as I lost sight of how to actively practice the self affirmations that had brought me so much joy and success in the past. Deciding to take the time to get back in touch with my authentic self, and embark on a journey to heal, I was quickly reminded how powerful self-talk is, for better and for worse.  I will admit, I drank the Kool-Aid, and it tasted delicious. Just today, during the 30 minutes it took to walk to a meeting, I was transformed from a misfit to a perfect, fit, simply by believing it to be true.  Reflecting on how most of my life I have felt slightly out of place, unable to define myself like others could, I came to realize that my uniqueness made me a perfect fit. I was a perfect fit for this body, for this life I am living. All of the sudden, I felt taller, I had a bounce in my step, with a magnetic energy. 


As simple as it sounds, using positive self-talk can be extremely challenging. But it can change a moment of despair to a moment of hope, a feeling of defeat to an exciting opportunity for creativity. It can transform the way you see yourself and the others in your world. It can change your heart and propel you forward toward the life that is your perfect fit! Who wants to talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment