Monday, September 9, 2013

The IN-Power of What We Tell Ourselves..


Every day is an opportunity to experience the beauty around you!  Each day our experiences of happiness, joy and satisfaction are a direct manifestation of our perceptions, or our self talk. 

As a very wise man has ingrained in me since the time I was young, 'We are what we tell ourselves about ourselves.'  

This can be an overwhelming concept. Deciding to take ownership of our own emotional state can be scary.

But it is also IN-Powering!   

  I like to start my busy days with overnight oats and spoons that talk!
Although it may have taken me longer than he would have liked to fully grasp the power of self talk (lets be honest, I am still working on it, it is a continuous work in progress) the adoption of regulating and maintaining positive self talk has had a DRAMATIC impact on my life. For better or for worse, my mind is programmed to produce motivational mantras in times of struggle or stress.  Being that my father spent a great deal of time ensuring that all of my athletic activity, success and failure, served to teach me something about life, I often view events in life as just part of the “game.” 

When things do not work out exactly as I had hoped or planned, “No one hits a home run every time, sometimes you strike out.  Re-focus and adjust for your next at-bat, ” runs through my mind. When I get nervous about trying something new or taking on a seemingly challenging project or endeavor, “Trust your stuff,” echoes in my mind. 

Undoubtedly, it is easier to allow our internal state to be affected by the external world. However, the external world is completely beyond our control. Allowing our personal happiness or satisfaction to be impacted by circumstances beyond our control is a recipe for emotional swings and a lack of peace. By focusing on the IN-Power of positive self-talk, I am able to maintain a sense of peace and happiness on a daily, consistent basis.

Maintaining positive self talk is much easier said then done. Like any other skill, it takes practice.

One of many gratitude journals! I love owls :) 

A gratitude journal is a great place to start! I started a gratitude journal several months ago and now have several!  It was truly a life changing practice.

3 keys to IN-Powering Self Talk
1.     Accept yourself unconditionally, as you are, in this moment.
2.     Be grateful: journal or document at least one thing you are grateful for each day.
3.     Talk to yourself as you would talk to others. Be kind, generous and encouraging.
 

    Today is a great day to live IN-Power! What is one positive thing  you will tell yourself today?!

No comments:

Post a Comment