Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Shore Thing


Labor Day weekend comes to an end. That means, for most of us, back to work, or the start of school!  Hopefully the holiday weekend allowed for some relaxation and fun.  As I was sitting on the beach, feeling the warm sun and listening to the waves crash in a constant rhythm, I started to reflect on how truly grateful I am that I have found a place where I can completely let go. With a crazy schedule that is filled with meetings, deadlines, projects and opportunities, it is very easy to find myself running around constantly from one thing to the next.  Don’t get me wrong – I enjoy everything I am doing right now, but it is not sustainable for the long term.  In order to live IN-Power, it is essential that rest and relaxation be incorporated into my schedule.  
View from Cape May Shore!

As early as I can remember, my family has been spending summers in Cape May. My Pop and Granny have a home there. It is a small, quiet, perfect home that holds some of my fondest childhood memories.  To this day, it is one of the few places in this world where I feel completely at ease and relaxed. Time slows there; life is lived at a different pace.  I have no issue with sitting for entire days taking in the warm sun, reading or just letting my mind wander, and enjoying the sea breeze as the sunbeams glisten off the waves.  It is truly my little slice of heaven on earth.  

Dinner view from Lobster Dock
I started thinking about the importance of having a place to go that is my “sanctuary.” It is critical! Even when time does not allow for a trip down, I can close my eyes and imagine – hearing the seagulls and the waves crash in.  For those who are trying to achieve a healthy lifestyle and balance a busy schedule, one key tip to success is finding your “Cape May.” Everyone has a place, a person, an activity...something, that brings them to that place of complete peace and joy. In order to thrive we must allow time for rejuvenation.  
I hope on this Labor Day holiday weekend, you were able to take the time to thank yourself for all the hard work you do and enjoy some well deserved down time.  If you take care of yourself you are able to better care for others!
Taking in the sunset

Do you have a place you go  or something you do to unwind?

No comments:

Post a Comment