Monday, September 16, 2013

Rock n’ Rocket Fuel


What a week! First the Beyond Sport Summit, followed by an impromptu Cornell Softball reunion for the Philadelphia Rock n’ Roll Half Marathon and a very special birthday celebration to top it all off.  I am going to need some extra fuel!



With an absolutely jam-packed week filled with fun and exciting events and opportunities, it got me thinking about the different kinds of fuel we need throughout our lives. Above you see my pre Half Marathon rock n’ roll oatmeal bowl. A heaping double serving of banana oatmeal with flax and chia, topped with berries, granola and almond butter. So delicious and IN-Powering! Finished 13.1 miles, no sweat! ( Well… maybe just a little! )

Food, however, is only one type of fuel.


Early Sunday morning, as the sun was rising, I was running down Market Street surrounded by thousands of people who were all headed toward the same finish line.  Yet, each of us was feeding on a different type of fuel. Some were driven by a need to achieve a record time; some were driven to fight for a cure, while others were there in memory of a loved one. No matter what the motivation, the result was the same – the drive to achieve, to accomplish a feat that, perhaps, was once thought impossible. All along the course, your body gives you reasons to give up, to back down, but with the right fuel – we are unstoppable.


Following the race and after fun finish line meeting with friends, I was blessed to have the opportunity to celebrate with my family for my Mom’s birthday.  My family is an endless source of fuel. They are supportive and encouraging and never back away from a challenge. My family is the most incredible source of fuel and they are a major component of my IN-Power.



My mom is an inspiring and warm woman. I have admired her my whole life and over the past year, I have gotten the chance to really know and understand what an incredible person she is. I am so very blessed and grateful for her. 


Fuel can come in many forms. Organizations or opportunities that engage your passion, events that spark your inner competitor, family or friends that provide love and support or a bowl of delicious over the top oatmeal! They are all the things that go into building our IN-Power and make it possible for us to achieve more than we ever dreamed possible!


What fuels you?

No comments:

Post a Comment