Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Making Space For Today

It has been a while. Several months since I have written and I am so thankful to have had an experience that brought me back, that helped me rediscover my voice…in more ways than one! Last weekend I attended a yoga retreat in Cape May with my grandmother, aunt and mom.  The experience is only a few days old and I don’t think I have fully processed it yet. So many things were shared and discussed and brought to light. I am still sorting and waiting for the dust to settle. But the experience as a whole was nothing short of transformative.  The retreat was not fancy or plush or or tucked away in an idyllic mountain range. The simplicity and relevance of the people, the practice and environment was incredibly humbling. 
Cape May Yoga Retreat Sunset



Buffalo "Chicken"
While there were many ideas that the different meditations and workshops cultivated and surfaced, it is a unique mantra that continues to resonate.  After returning to a busy city on Super Bowl Sunday, with a to do list a mile long that had piled up from the weekend and a jam-packed week ahead, I had concerns that my natural tendency to shift into overdrive would rob the peace and contentment I had obtained.   And then, all of the sudden, I simply decided it wouldn’t. It was like the first time you realize that you actually have learned how to ride your bike and you’re not going to fall off. That moment when you have finally figured it out. When I returned home Sunday, I had no sense of panic or urgency. I slowly unpacked and invited a friend over to make some delicious buffalo “chicken” bites and YUUMM (heart center) cookies. Both of those recipes are outrageously good so certainly more to come on those later J But the feeling that was swelling inside was not one of urgency but of love and I wanted to share it. My emails could wait until tomorrow. I wanted to enjoy the now, the moment, before it was over.

YUMM..Heart Center Cookies ;) Thanks Mom!


The current focal point of the weekend that is lucid is the ability to remain and live in the moment and allow for the possibility of now. Yoga is now. When I woke up on Monday morning, I felt not need to jump back into my old routine of flipping on the news to see what I had “missed.” Instead, I stayed the course of the retreat and practiced ”microwave” mediation. Our retreat meditation leader used this term and it just seemed so relevant:  quick, easy and effective.  I took several deep breaths, stretched and allowed my breath to offer a direction for the day. As I took deep breaths I felt as though I was creating space in my body, space for today. Creating space for today and the opportunities and blessings it could bring and how I could be an actor of love and light. Letting yesterday and tomorrow flow out with every exhale.


Just another day in Rittenhouse Park!
Every deep inhale was more space and energy for today, just today. Yesterday, despite a pretty unruly snow storm I was able to live my life with ease and with an open heart. It was a great day. So this morning I did the same. I made space with several deep inhales and let go with every exhale.  Which led me back to a real passion, writing. So happy I made space.  I cannot predict what today will hold, but I do know I will live with ease and with an open heart. 












What can you make space for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment