Monday, February 17, 2014

How Healthy Are You?


This can be a tough question to answer. Mainly because at least once a week we are bombarded with news stories and social media posts about the hottest sure fire way to achieve “the best body ever!” But is health really all about looks? Well, not in my experience. Growing up as a strong athlete, I was certainly never thin, but it didn’t matter, I could play. I could play well. After an injury I became very nervous that without my sport my size was no longer “acceptable”, so when my college career was over I fought hard to keep thin so I would fit into the standard definition of “healthy.”  Well my drive to attain optimal fitness only led me to a depleted body, which while thin, was far from healthy.  I spent way too much time beating myself up for “ruining everything.” Luckily, I had the support I needed to kick my competitive side into gear, get back on track, and really get healthy. It has been about two years since that time and I am well on my way.  Ups and downs for sure, but it’s only the first inning! The most important step in reaching the level of health I was seeking was redefining what it means to be healthy.
            The answers were not in any magazine waiting to be purchased at the checkout counter. There was no magic food, pill, diet or fast that would bring real, lasting health.  The real key to health is becoming a good listener. The human body is an amazing machine telling you exactly what it needs; all we need to do is respond. While this sounds simple, it is one of the most difficult things to do. What our body needs is so often drowned out by emotions, distractions, and trying very hard to live by the “should do” rules.  Well all the “shoulds” can get hard to juggle, so I say lets drop those and start discovering authentic health. Approaching everything from a competitor’s mindset, being healthy, like any other goal, is easily achieved with the right team. Think of your mind, body and spirit as a health team.  All three must work together, communicate and contribute in order to reach the dream!   Unlike a diet plan, or recipe, this approach cannot be implemented instantaneously. It takes a bit of practice, patience and perseverance. Even though, my recipes are often food related, I thought I would provide a new type of health recipe to kick-start a real health plan!

MIND BODY SPIRIT HEALTH

1.     Take deep breaths several times a day to clear your head and check in- think microwave mediation (Mind)

2.     Prepare and eat real food on a daily basis - it can be as simple as oatmeal and granola in the morning or easy stir fry for dinner!  (Body) 


3.     Exercise daily, even short walks count! (Body/Spirit)

4.     Engage a personal passion every day – do something you love that is just for you! (Spirit)

It sounds simple, but getting all of these while trying to make deadlines, finish projects, make appointments, tackle to-do lists and make sure everyone else is taken care of if no easy feat.  But as Mahatma Gandhi once said, 

I should love to satisfy all, if I possibly can;
but in trying to satisfy all, I may be able to satisfy none …”

In order to satisfy all that matter, we must first satisfy ourselves.  To be truly satisfied and able to live in our full expression, optimal health of mind, body and spirit are essential. Test the recipe above and see what kind of difference it makes in your Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment