Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pot O’Luck!


As a lover of whole foods and healthy eating, I have sometimes felt like an outsider when it comes to social situations. In the past, I believed that the only way to stay true to my “healthy ways” was to isolate myself.  While I was eating very nutritiously, my health suffered. Proper nutrition is only one piece of the whole health picture. Lacking meaningful connections and relationships, I was lonely and consumed by food thoughts.  I was surviving, not living. Luckily, I was completely mistaken about the need to be alone in order to eat healthy! As it turns out, there was not need to choose between living a life that is in line with our health beliefs and goals, and being a member of the human race!

Instead, I decided to be my authentic self, prepare wholesome and delicious food, not only for myself, but for others as well!

With some simple pre steps, it can be easy to enjoy every last minute of summer fun while nourishing your body, and soul!  Have a last minute BBQ or potluck jump on to your social calendar but you are afraid to go and be forced to sideline your health goals? I have been there!

This easy Summer Salvation Salad recipe had my last night when I was invited to a networking Potluck and needed something to bring - I had 20 minutes to prepare my food, myself and get out the door! 

Luckily, I had made a big pot of Quinoa the night before in preparation for the week.  Quinoa is an extremely dense source of nutrition, it is versatile and tasty to boot! 

Summer Salvation Salad!
Warning:  you will see at least 4 other meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) made from this pot of luck this week!

I have heard many share the rhetoric of being able to be both healthy and social. So I wanted to share some of my tips for living a whole IN-Powered life! 

With some simple pre steps, like taking the 20 minutes to make a big pot of Quinoa one day, it can be easy to enjoy every last minute of summer fun while nourishing your body, and soul!  The trick? Cook once, eat…three, four, five times!

Big pot of luck :)
This Summer Salvation Salad is a complete meal in one, or can serve as a delicious side to the main course offered at the event. It is easy (literally came together in about 7 minutes) and very universal. I had people asking me for the recipe who clearly had never heard of a chickpea or quinoa before! 

By getting out and sharing your whole food prowess with others, you are sharing the best part of yourself and empowering others to do the same!  Make a healthy dish and allow everyone to enjoy it with you! You may be surprised how many people are grateful for your efforts and want to join your clean plate club!

So lets eat, drink and be IN-Power! 

Summer Salvation Salad

2 Cups cooked quinoa***
1 Cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup each chopped tomatoes and cucumber
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar or regular red wine vinegar
Juice from ½ lime
Salt, pepper, garlic, and any other fresh herbs you like or have on had for a flavor kick.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl or to go container, mix and refrigerate until ready to leave. The best thing about this dish: it can sit out all night with no worries of spoilage!

Want even easier? Combine chickpeas and quinoa in a bowl. Mix in a jar or container of fresh salsa, add a little pepper and oregano and refrigerate! In less than 5 minutes you made a gourmet side dish!

***Quinoa is a quick whole grain super food that can be made in large batches and stored in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. (I make a large batch on Friday or Sunday for easy cook once , eat forever meals). The trick to easy wholesome eating is having things on hand and ready to go.  

What is your go to summer dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment