Friday, August 23, 2013

Living the Whole Life


Welcome to The Whole Peace! My name is Ali Tomlinson and I am the founder of IN-Power Health & Wellness. The Whole Peace is a blog that I hope you will find as useful as I do.  The daily grind can be consuming.  Life has a way of seeming to move so fast that it becomes hard to take care of ourselves properly.  A little over a year ago, I was blessed with a very unique opportunity. I was forced, a matter of life and death, to stop and smell the tulips (literally).  During the recovery process that changed my life, I developed a new appreciation for the meaning of health and the beauty of making a daily effort to live a whole life, filled with joy, peace and gratitude. 

Tulips Outside Presbyterian Church!
 I can appreciate that this may sound a little “crunchy” but I can assure you I am not writing to you from a secluded cabin in the woods. In fact, I am currently sitting in my 7th floor apartment in Center City Philadelphia, enjoying the sound of the trucks, cars, sirens and people down below -or what I like to call the city birds J  A year ago, I would have not been able to sit peacefully and write without racing thoughts of anxiety, self doubt, and food. In fact I could barely sit still at all. But more on that to come later!
View Out my window!
 I am very passionate about what I refer to as whole health and wellness. Being a healthy individual is about so much more than food and exercise.  There are so many components to living a whole, healthy life: relationships, finances, career, creative activities, spirituality and intellectual stimulation are just a few.  As humans we are multifaceted and unique. Therefore it seems odd to cling to beliefs that there is one right diet, exercise program, religion, or path to a successful career that will work for everyone. Living a whole life is about seeking out and engaging those people and activities that ignite the light within you. The Whole Peace is about sharing the experiences of seeing each day through a new lens., a lens that is finally in focus.  To paraphrase the Greek philosopher Epictetus, it is not the things that disturb us, but the view we take of things.

No matter what your current situation, living a whole, balanced life is possible. I look forward to sharing ideas, tips and adventures as we explore all that the days have to offer and experience The Whole Peace. So stay tuned, Philly is bound to provide a whole lot of food and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment